Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 15:42:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: grafx console & DDB

As S|ren Schmidt wrote:

> Davidg has already confronted me with that idea, I had nothing
> against it, but havn't heard more to it, just tell me the
> variables name and it be in there (in syscons)...

It would even be easy enough for me to stick it in myself...  But we
first need some consensus from the crowd.

> > Before Terry jumps in: i know that this is not the generic solution.
> > The console drivers should reinitialize the system's console via a
> > vm86() call to the video BIOS -- but i don't see this solution around
> > the corner within the next weeks.
>
> Why not, there was some vm86 patches posted here some time ago, and
> somebody said they where working on it. When we have that
> feature, it'll take a couble of hours getting syscons to use
> that (don't know about pcvt though :-) )

This should not go in before 2.1 ships, IMHO.

For pcvt, i've already thought about Terrys idea to move all the card
dependant code out to an LKM (defaulting to a generic VGA lkm or
such), and stick also all the X11 code there.  Given my current load
level, and the personal troubles i expect in the field of my paywork,
it will take forever to implement it, however. :-(

(See your .sig, Søren... :)
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/