Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:58:16 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        kuku@www.kukulies.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: off topic - disk crash

Clifton Royston <cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com> writes:
> > Today an important (no backup of course) 46 GB IBM Deskstar
> > IDE disk crashed.
> This specific line of drives is infamous for a failure rate that's at
> least a full order of magnitude above the industry average for ATA
> drives.  Google a bit for it.

Not the entire DeskStar line, just the 75GXP series.  I still have
several 16Gs and at least one 60GXP that have never given me any
trouble, and they were fast and silent for their time, head and
shoulders ahead of the competition.  These days I mostly buy WD...

> > The disk boots into FreeBSD but already at power on time the disk does
> > seek retries or some recalibration noise.

Also known as the "click of death"...

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no