Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disktab entry for Seagate ST-19171W (Barracuda 9)

On 11-Oct-99 at 23:51, J Wunsch (j@uriah.heep.sax.de) wrote:
> As patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
>
> > (For a given partition, it always occurs at the same point in the
> > log output.  The reported CDB info changes slightly; but I don't
> > know how to interpret that, so I don't know if it is significant.)
>
> Better quote an error message then.

Actually, I was wrong, the CDB info only changes if the partition
size or offset changes.

I've got the machine off now, so I can't report the full text of
the errors; but I did write down some of the significant parts.

	CDB: a 0 8 20 a 0
	asc 47,0
	write error: 2048
	parity error in vendor replacable unit 3

The second and third values in the CDB change if I change the
partition size or offset.  And I'm not certain about the exact
wording of the 'parity error...' message - that part's from
memory.

Before your previous message I hadn't seriously considered that
the cable might be the problem.  (My previous experience with
occasional SCSI cable problems had led to more frequent or more
randomly occurring symptoms.)  After reading your message, I
thought it was worth checking though, so I removed that cable
and the EZ17 and tested with the cable that had been on the tape
library.  No problems.

So at the moment, I'm assuming that either it's a slightly
flakey cable or that I've misunderstood which bit of the SCSI
spec applies to my situation; and two three-foot segments have
placed me over the maximum cable length.  In a few minutes I'll
be going out to get a new (and if I can find one, shorter) cable.
If that doesn't work, I'll report back to the list for more help.

> > I didn't try formatting, just verifying.  Can you suggest any
> > good tests to run from within FreeBSD to check this out?
>
> dd if=/dev/rsa1 of=/dev/null bs=64k

Hmm.  I tried dd'ing from /dev/zero to rda0; but not the other
way.  (I assume you ment rda1, instead of rsa1 there.  If not,
I'm further behind on the effects of the CAM integration than
I thought.)

-Pat