Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:50:17 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More bogons in Makefiles...

On Thu, Jul 31, 1997 at 08:18:54PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> Paths relative to the source tree are preferred, although this causes
> problems with partial source trees.  Paths relative to the object tree
> are used by many sloppy Makefiles

Ok, I'll look out for these while I'm bumbling around.

> with a per-source directory obj symlink)).  Non sloppy makefiles would
> use a more complicated search for the object directory that would
> actually be used if `make' were run in the external source directory.

An example being? ;)

> The path here should be ${.CURDIR/../../secure}.

I'll watch out for this too then...

> There are more bogons here.  The whole ifdef is a verbose and confusing
> way write `YEARISTYPE= ${.OBJDIR}/yearistype.  yearistype is always
> created in the object directory and ${.OBJDIR} always exists (although
> it's not clear where it is when make is invoked with args `obj all ...').

>From this I read ${.OBJDIR} == ${.CURDIR} iff no 'make obj'. If that is
correct then there is a lot of funny business going on, because there are a
lot of checks this form.

> Because I don't use it :-).  bsd.libnames.mk is no longer used in -current,
> so this problem will go away automatically.

Looks suspiciously like bsd.lib.mk includes this file... but now I'm lost ;)
where do all the other defines for libraries come from?

> >Oops, one last thing: should ./usr.bin/lex/lib be built twice in the
> >bootstrapping of 'make world' (as part of lib-tools and libraries) and
>
> It doesn't hurt.

It uses CPU cycles without any gain, therefore the net result is -ve.

Thanks for the input.

 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.