Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:40:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: multitrack recording [was: recording audio with SoundBlaster Live...]

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
<snip>
> This is off-topic from the original post, but since you mention that you
> do a lot recording to your SBLive I though I would ask.  Is there any
> good multitrack recording software for FreeBSD.  I recently made a
> little preamp so that I could plug my guitar into the sound card and am
> looking for multitrack recording software.  I have waded through the
> ports and come across a few possibilities, but each leaves something to
> be desired.  I found ecasound, audacity, and snd.  Audacity is just what
> I am looking for, but v1 doesn't support full duplex on *nix.  Apparently v1.1
> does, but it is not released as stable yet.  ecasound looks powerful,
> but it would be nice if it had a graphical interface - well, there is
> one, but it's not very intuitive and the documentation is nonexistent,
> apparently.  snd had an interesting interface, but I can't seem to tell
> if it was meant to do what I want, or at least I can't coax it to.  I
> just want to make multitrack guitar recordings i.e. record one track and
> record the next while listening to the first, etc, etc....any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

I use Audacity for all of my mixing. I do a lot of the individual track
recording to my 4-track, and do the mixing afterwards in Audacity. The
lack of full-duplex support in *nix is in the OSS drivers, not Audacity,
and it really stinks. I've been thinking of getting a better card (like an
RME Hammerfalle) which has full-duplex support with the ALSA drivers, but
until my employment situation levels out, that's not gonna happen.

In FreeBSD Audacity is the best IMHO. Another great one (much more
full-featured) is Ardour, but it seems to be Linux-only and I have no idea
what would be required to re-compile it for FreeBSD.

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg