Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:26:58 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux/i386 compat on Freebsd/amd64 / ONLY_FOR_ARCHS

--nextPart6289085.bJ63Fhm7ze

Hello,

I've successfully managed to get Linux/i386 compatibility working on=20
=46reeBSD 5.3/amd64. Took some fiddling, but was actually less complicated=
=20
that I assumed. I've written a short HOWTO, it's available here:=20
http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?t=3D297

Now, one thing I noticed is that pretty much all linux ports are marked=20
with ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3Di386, when in fact they work just fine on=20
=46reeBSD/amd64 (with the linux/i386 compatibility environment, ie=20
linux_base-8 installed). This is somewhat annoying,as it requires=20
manually setting MACHINE_ARCH=3Di386 and sometimes ARCH=3Di386 with every=20
make.

Now... I assume that eventually FreeBSD will also get Linux/*64 support=20
sooner or later, and that there'll be linux ports that use only one of=20
the two linux compat environments.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that setting ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=
=20
for binary linux ports makes a lot of sense... could it not be assumed=20
that if the linux/i386 compatibility environment is installed on a=20
machine, linux/i386 apps will work even if this is not an i386 machine?=20
Same thing when FreeBSD gets linux/*64 support.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the internals of the ports=20
system to come up with an ingeniously simple but powerful solution (nor=20
am I ingenious enough ;) ), but maybe I can start a discussion that leads=20
to something good?

Benjamin