Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:53:38 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Subject:   Re: nVidia chipset - ethernet support?

--Boundary-02=_XO3ZAwRaDgAWspf

Am Sonntag, 28. M=E4rz 2004 23:57 schrieb Brian Candler:
> I have installed FreeBSD-5.2.1 on my brand new Soltek EQ3702A machine,
> which has an nVidia chipset. I have got most of the on-board hardware to
> work: kldload snd_ich  -- pcm
>   kldload firewire \ to mount my ipod
>   kldload sbp      /
>
> but I don't seem to be able to get ethernet to work. A google shows that
> this is a long-standing issue:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/016739.h=
tm
>l http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2003-July/001016.html
>
> but I don't see anything else posted since August last year.
>
> I did come across this driver against FreeBSD-5.1:
> http://www.onthenet.com.au/~q/nvnet/   [1]
>
> Anyone have any experience with it? It claims to be in the official ports
> tree under net/nvnet, but I don't find it there (not in the 5.2.1-RELEASE
> ports tree anyway). Well actually, I did find something here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/net/nvnet   [2]

I tried the nvnet driver from the ports some days ago with a nforce2 and it=
=20
worked flawlessly.

But you can also use the ProjectEvil ndis wrapper and use the WinXP driver.
I also did this with great success some weeks ago.

> Unfortunately the driver page [1] doesn't link to the Linux driver it
> requires, and the port at [2] links to a different version of nvnet than
> the one at [1].
>
> If anyone has this working with FreeBSD-5.2.1 (and either an up-to-date
> port, or a pointer to the correct Linux module required), that would save
> me some random hacking.
>
> Incidentally, my machine has two VGA ports. If anyone knows how to get bo=
th
> of those working together with XFree86, that would be appreciated too!

You need the proprietary nvidia driver (from ports/x11/nvidia-driver). See =
the=20
docs in the working directory of the port for more info, if you need a samp=
le=20
dual-layout I can send you mine.

Best regards,

=2DHarry