Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:13:53 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jwd@unx.sas.com
Subject:   Re: 13 months of user time?

In message <19980821173730.A7689@mars.hsc.fr>, Pierre Beyssac writes:
>On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 03:20:34PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> >Please take this issue seriously.  You can't just handwave and say
>> >"it's all APM's fault".
>>
>> Belive me, I'm taking this very seriously, but until I can make
>> it fail on one of my machines, I'll have a hard time fixing it.
>
>Maybe a first step should be : which code can we add to our kernels
>to help you track the bug ?

I need to know if you can reproduce it with APM set to a definitive
state of "disabled".

If you can reproduce it there, remove the call to init_timecounter()
in sys/i386/isa/clock.c where it changes to the tsc_timecounter.

printfs can be pretty lethal inside the clock/timecounter code,
so be very careful with that.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal