Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:03:55 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb4bsd patch review

On Friday 22 August 2008, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting "Kris Kennaway" <kris@FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 22 Aug 2008
>
> 10:59:38 +0200):
> > Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >> Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> (from Thu, 21 Aug 2008
> >>
> >> 11:52:10 -0600 (MDT)):

> >> Wait a moment. Does this mean the devfs stuff to handle the access
> >> rights (devfs.rules or manual chown/chmod by root) does not work
> >> with the new usb stuff? If the answer is yes, I would see this as
> >> some kind of nasty bug (I don't think this shall be a showstopper,
> >> as long as this is fixed later).
> >
> > Yes, he said it will be fixed later.
>
> You are aware that I point out that this may or may not suggest that
> HPS is circumventing the normal devfs infrastructure and that this may
> or may not be a problem and should be reviewed by someone with
> knowledge about the devfs infrastructure?
>
> And as he mentioned that in the context of the userland utilities, it
> may be interesting if this means if an USB specific userland utility
> will be responsible to change the ownership and file access or not. If
> yes, what are the consequences from a security point of view and what
> about POLA (devfs.rules, chown/chmod)?
>
> I want to see this new USB subsystem, but if the answer to the above
> paragraph is yes, then this would be a showstopper for me (IMO the
> replacement should work in this regard as before, I don't say it can
> not be changed after enough people agree that the replacement was
> successful).
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Hi Alexander,

You have to ask Paul Henning Kamp about that. He does not like the idea
about /dev/ being the inventory list.

Besides, there are no more visible /dev/ devices. All devices are so-called
cloneable and invisible, so you need a separate utility. The good news is
that you can set the permissions on a USB subtree (a HUB and all subdevices)
before devices are eventually plugged !

--HPS