Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:25:37 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License to kill annoying syslog feature?

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:09:33 +1030 (CST)  Michael Smith wrote:

> 1)  Only log stuff to the 'wildcard' file entry if it hasn't matched another
>     rule already.
>
>  or
>
> 2)  Add another meta-config entry like !, say %, which implies that

I've seen (2) done somewhere, sometime.  Probably on a security
related site but my brain is not working too well right now and won't
cough up the location.  (If you've a cool change there in Adelaide,
please SEND IT ON!)

I prefer (2) since it is obviously different when looking at
syslog.conf.

Rather than patch syslogd I usually solve the problem by logging most
everything and only looking at stuff that swatch picks out for me.
I've a cleaned up re-written swatch that I use for this that is
careful about reaping zombies:

	http://www.nemeton.com.au/software.html

The 'logsurfer' program from the German (?) CERT team looks a better
bet still; it can handle multiline messages and "remember" what is
happening.

For logsurfer go and search at:

        http://www.cert.dfn.de/

(I can't find a URL less than three lines long to cut and paste ... grr.)

Regards,

Giles