Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:23:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates reliability?

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote ...

> The original K6-2's off the line where all 100MHz parts, it was later when
> AMD found that some people where sticking these in 66MHz boards and trying
> to run them with a 66MHz FSB and having troubles that AMD started to test
> the parts for 66MHz operation, they had to make some changes in the I/O
> buffers and then qualify a new part number and those are the ones stamped 66.
>  Aka AMD 6K86-2-P300/66 vs AMD 6K86-2-P300/100 for those who know what a
> real AMD part number is.

Rod,

Do I understand you correctly that I should get a 66Mc variant for my Asus
T2P4 because a 100Mc is unlikely to work? Or are the newer 100Mc chips also
coping OK with 66Mc FSB?

(I'm aware of the slight hardware hack required to make a T2P4 accept a K6-2.
What would be the fastest K6-2 running ok with a 66 FSB? And is this
potential upgrade worthwhile, with K6-2 going here for around 80-90$ or so?)

Thanks,
	Wilko