Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:46:04 -0400
From:      staticsafe <me@staticsafe.ca>
To:        "Mike." <the.lists@mgm51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting a lcoale globally

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:13:34PM -0400, Mike. wrote:

> I would like to set the locale of my 9.1 server to
>
>    LANG="en_US.ISO8859-1"
>

> globally, i.e., put the locale entry in one file, and then have the
> locale propagate as I go into other shells and run various scripts.
>

> I have spent some quality time with google, and the best I have been
> about to ascertain is that I need to sprinkle the LANG setting
> throughout the various ENV variables and .profile, .cshrc, .bashrc, and
> whatever files spread across my directory tree.
>

> That really seems counter-intuitive to me.
>

> Is it at all possible for me to specify in once place *somewhere" that
> the entire server is to use the locale setting LANG="en_US.ISO8859-1" ?
>
> I need a clue...
>

> thanks.

24.3.3.1.1. Login Classes Method
"This method allows environment variables needed for locale name and
MIME character sets to be assigned once for every possible shell instead
of adding specific shell assignments to each shell's startup file. User
Level Setup can be performed by each user while Administrator Level
Setup requires superuser privileges."

Source:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/using-localization.html#login-class
--