Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:30:15 +0200
From:      Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

Johan Ström wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Krassimir Slavchev wrote:

>> Johan Ström wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Im looking into getting a new server box to replace a Supermicro box,
>>> which unfortunately have a bunch of problems with heat, random hangups,
>>> crappy IPMI/remote admin capabilities etc..
>>> What I'm looking at is a DL360 G5, probably with one E5335 (quad 2.0)
>>> and 4G of RAM and 4x 146Gb SAS disks on the Smart Array P400i card.
>>
>> I have some DL360 G5 (3.0GHz E53xx) with 8G, 4x146G SAS and P400i and
>> they work perfect with  7.0 (amd64) and sched ULE!
>>
>>> I've googled and looked through the list archives trying to find success
>>> stories/problem reports using FreeBSD on this box, but haven't found
>>> very much.. Only thing was
>>
>> Try to find "Performance!" thread on this list
>
> Found it, but the main point seemed to be dont compile postgres stuff
> with incompatible threadsafeness? Or did I miss something?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg92787.html

Yes, the main point is differ but the hardware is as yours and 7.0 works
without issues.

>>> http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html which says
>>> "Functional" which isnt very informative ;)
>>>
>>> So.. Does anyone have any experience with this combo (DL360 G5 / P400i)?
>>>

>> Yes, P400i works fine with ciss(4) driver
>
> Can i offline/online drives, rebuild arrays etc from the OS?

You don't need to do anything from the OS, just pull out the drive an
plug a new one or the same drive and arrays will be rebuilt
automatically (without rebooting or power on/off! The system doesn't
affected by this operation while running).
I have never tested camcontrol(8) utility but it should work.

Best Regards