Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:07:06 -0500
From:      Sahil Tandon <sahil+freebsd-ports@tandon.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Input on "most correct" way to set IS_INTERACTIVE for Postfix ports

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 12:27:31 -0900, rflynn@acsalaska.net wrote:

> >>   - POSTFIX_DEFAULT_MTA is unset
> >
> > Right, but regardless of whether this is set, or what it is set to,
> > the script still asks a question unless other conditions are met,
> > and only the default answer (that is displayed along with the query)
> > is affected.  Are you suggesting that we change the behavior to not
> > ask the question at all, and just leave mailer.conf alone if the
> > latter variable above is unset, and always change mailer.conf if it
> > is set?  I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion.
> >
> > Thanks for your input.
>
> Oh right, BATCH I think, been a while since I looked at it, but this
> makes sense to me for the flag in question:
>
> .ifndef POSTFIX_DEFAULT_MTA IS_INTERACTIVE=yes .endif
>
> Then if it is set to NO, don't update.  If set to YES, do update.
> Else be interactive.
>
> The reason for an explicit NO, is that I'd like to be able to turn it
> off and still not be confronted with a question.

OK, understood; but this would have to be in conjunction with other
logic that checks for the existence of mailer.conf, non-definition of
PACKAGE_BUILDING, et cetera -- let me think about this for the next
update. In the meantime, I think I will go ahead with a variant of what
crees@ suggested, just to provide existing functionality, but reduce the
cases in which users find the port marked INTERACTIVE when it really is
not, e.g. when upgrading Postfix if /etc/mail/mailer.conf has already
been modified by a previous installation.

Thank you and everyone else who chimed in on this thread.

--
Sahil Tandon