Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 06:13:43 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG, nsayer@sftw.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RPC not taking the same service twice: a bug or a security measure?

opentrax@email.com wrote:

> On  8 Nov, Bill Paul wrote:
> >> A coworker seems to have found an issue with portmap on FreeBSD.
> >> Aparently, if you try and register the same service twice, but with
> >> different protocols (UDP vs TCP), it doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure
> >> I believe this, and I am digging for more details, but I am writing to
> >> see if anyone can tell me anything that will save me having to do the
> >> investigative work. :-) I'll follow up with more details as I can.
> >
> > No you won't, because both you and your cow-orker are smoking entirely
> > too much crack. (Him for hallucinating this problem in the first place,
> > and you for believing him enough to post this query here.)
> >
> Hey!! There is no need for this type of response.
> It's obvious the person writing has good intentions,
> but has not read a TCP/IP book, that's worth a damm.
> I would consider it a personal favor, if this might be
> responded to in a less attacking manner.

No, no. He's right. We were smoking too much crack. :-)

The problem turns out that we try to unregister the service before we
register it. On solaris we use rpcb_unset(), which is protocol specific.
On Freebsd, we use pmap_unset() which does not consider protocol. It
would unregister the one we registered on the other protocol moments
ago. I guess on FreeBSD there is no way to unregister selectively such
as with rpcb_unset(), so we will just have to be a little more careful.
:-)

In my own defense, I'd like to point out that I've read lots of good
TCP/IP books. It's RPC that I know very little about.