Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:18:14 -0600
From:      "Darren" <backdoc@crotchett.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mailman on freebsd

I am setting up my first list server on FreeBSD.  I used the ports/packages
to install Mailman.  Following the setup directions on the Mailman website
has raised a couple of questions.

The first question is in regards to the warning in the documentation to not
be root while running ./configure.  I suppose that is so that the files are
owned by a regular user.  Since I didn't have to run configure, and since I
was root when I installed the Mailman from the ports or pkgs (I don't recall
which), I was concerned that I might need to change the owners of all of the
files in the mailman directory from root to mailman.  Should I chown -R
mailman /usr/local/mailman?  Apparently, other distributions put mailman in
/home.

At this point in the install, permissions are supposed to be checked (with
/usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms -f) as the user who installed Mailman.
They checked out OK as root.  But, here is where I realized that I could not
su to mailman.  I do have a user mailman that the ports set up for me.  But,
the shell is /sbin/nologin.  I tried changing that to another shell and
giving mailman a password.  But, that still didn't help.  I still get the
message, "This account is currently not available".

Not being able to su to mailman looks like it is going to be a problem when
I get to the crontab step.

Thanks in advance,
Darren