Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:53:38 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Patrick Kelly <pkelly@kuentos.guam.net>
Cc:        SRIDHAR KRISHNAN <skrishna@cisco.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which SQL Database for Web Applications ?

At 6:32 pm -0800 26/1/98, Tom wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Patrick Kelly wrote:
>
>> I was using (briefly) postgreSQL, but got frustrated with the limited SQL.
>> Now I'm using Solid (not free).  I've committed to it (ie paid license
>> fees), but havn't used it enough to really give a qualified opinion.
>>
>> patrick
>
>  Solid is nice.  Of the free databases, PostgreSQL probably has the least
>limited SQL support though.  Both mSQL and MySQL lacked all kinds of
>things that PostgreSQL does.
>
>  I belive that Solid is the only SQL database for FreeBSD that offers
>logging and automatic crash recovery.  Only Solid and PostgreSQL provide
>support for transactions.
>
>Tom

I've been trying another (non-free) SQL server that runs native on FreeBSD
called YARD. It seems a pretty complete & robust implementation (inc
logging & transactions). I've not tried linking it to web pages since I'm
working on unix & windoze apps, but it definitely has a JDBC interface as
well as ODBC and embedded C SQL.

They're at http://www.yard.de/ & you can d/l a trial version to see if it's
any good for you.

I'm a little disturbed about the problems with MySQL that Mark Mayo mentioned:

>...  I don't like the fact that MySQL 3.21 is the recommended version,
>but is still in beta and new betas come out monthly, and the last beta (as
>of today 3.21.21) has several known bugs invovling fairly simple queries,
>but the only way to get fixes is cut and paste patches from the mailing
>list... ugh

... since we've been thinking of using it for less "critical" stuff. Do
these problems lose data?

Robin.