Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 06:54:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

On 2002-01-24 08:45:52, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> I think that network cards are setup automatically by the install because
> it's plausible to do an install over the network using a network card, but
> doing one over a modem (even at 56K) would be preprosterous.

Thank you, thank you :-P

[ Me who installs -RELEASE versions from a dialup line, to test the
  latest -RELEASE sysinstall, once every few months. ]

> So the problem isn't so much that the *install* is lame (Windows installs
> don't, in my experience, set up modems, either); but rather that the
> POST-install environment doesn't offer any "wizards" to set up the various
> hardware.

Unfortunately, wizards are the predominant reason I left the
MS-DOS/Windows world, a few years back.  I do prefer it a lot better
to just 'cvsup, edit a file, make, reboot' than cross fingers and hope
that a web browser is available in order to update my system (yes,
this is a reference to 'Windows update').

Of course, if someone comes up with code that will make FreeBSD start,
detect network cards, modems, USB keyboards and mice, internal modems,
Plug-n-Play cards, and all that, presents a big red button in
VESA_800x600 mode and a label "Press the big red button to have BSD
running on your system" (an intented over-simplication here), then yes
I'll suggest all my computer illiterate friends install FreeBSD.

Until that day, I'm just staying close while they install, and drink
coffee, waiting for any questions that might pop up.  This scheme
seems to work nicely until now :)  All most people need to install
FreeBSD is to "feel" that if they get stuck, someone who can help them
is close.

--
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/