Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:32:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

> And: how many people would volunteer for such a job?
> Or is it assumed that since this appears suspiciously like Real Work
> it will be a paid-for job?

It will be a paid-for job, naturally.

Something we also have to stay aware of in this discussion is the fact
that even if most hackers could give a fig for graphical installers
and consider them to be an unneeded bit of hand-holding, it would
still be nice to have a framework which stuff could drop into and be
accessed via a command line or turbovision type of interface.  We're
not talking about writing multiple installers for each type of UI,
after all, since that would be an unreasonable duplication of labor.
We're talking about one installation/configuration code base which can
use either X or text mode interfaces at the user's discretion, so
both "camps" get what they want.

It's also a sad fact that journalists tend to rate products based on
different criteria than engineers do, and even where we're getting kudos
in the engineering community, magazines are kicking us in the nuts over
not having something which competes head-to-head with Caldera or Red Hat.
Sad, but true.

- Jordan