Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:56:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gustavo Lozano Ibarra <glozano@academ02.maz.itesm.mx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing problem with two ide cdroms

(removing -current from the CC:; there's no evidence it has anything
to do with -current).

On Monday, 29 June 1998 at  8:17:40 -0600, Gustavo Lozano Ibarra wrote:
> I was trying to install freebsd in a computer with two cdroms without
> success.. in the first Ide port I have a hard dis (master), in the second
> ide port I have a cdr (master)

Ah.  That's news.

> and a cdrom(slave)... but when I try to install freebsd from the
> freebsd cd... the installation program freeze in the probing device
> section.. What can I do?Does Freebsd support two cd units

Yes, again.

> ok, here is my hardware specification.. the second port is in the
> motherboard and I have connected both cd units in this port...
> both units share irq 15 and port 0x170...

Well, it's the controller that uses these values, so there's nothing
to share.

> Windows can use this shared irq and detect both units... but what about
> freebsd...

We've generally connected IDE CD-ROMs as slaves.  Would it be a lot of
trouble to reconfigure like that (connect the CD-ROM as primary
slave)?  In any case, if you tell us what kind of hardware you have,
it might help.

Greg