Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:14:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>, "'ODHIAMBO Washington'" <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scripting the buildworld/installworld process

On Monday 01 September 2003 11:31 am, Charles Howse wrote:
> > I don't think 10 is enough. Wash has a buildworld problem on
> > current and, on his listing, you would only make it about half way
> > through the
> > error 1 messages and may miss the one that means something.
> >
> > I log for a different reason. If you had one die and I
> > didn't, I want to
> > be able to show you that I made it past where yours errored off.
>
> Good enough, but otherwise?

Most of the time, you only need to see the last 4 or 5. I think that I
only look at one of my builds to see the "chmod 444 freebsd.cf" and
fire up the next script.

BTW, If you add both of your kernels to /etc/make.conf, you would only
need one buildkernel. The first one is the one that is installed. I
have it commented now but I used to use

#KERNCONF=RUBY GENERIC

to build both and install just RUBY. I got so that I liked the logs
separated and changed how I did things. RUBY is my fastest machine was
designed to build kernels for other systems and then nfs_mount src and
obj on the other machines and install them this way. When I strickly
started shutting down to single user mode, it wasn't a normal option.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA