Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:41:50 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   6.0 on Dell 1850 with PERC4e/DC RAID?

Hi all,

I may be getting a new Dell PE1850 soon, to replace our ancient CVS server
(still running 4-STABLE).  The new machine will ideally run 6.0 and have a
PERC4e/DC RAID card - the one with battery-backed cache.  This is listed as
supported by amr(4), but I'm wondering how well it actually works in the
case of a disk failure.  Will the driver tell me that disk has failed (a
syslog message would be enough) or will I have to make a daily trip into
the server room to check the front panel lights?  Presumably it handles
hot-swapping a replacement drive OK?

I found some posts mentioning some management/monitoring tools for these
controllers that were allegedly available from the www.lsilogic.com
website, but I can't find anything on there for FreeBSD.  Do the Linux
tools work?

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon