Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:02:10 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015048931.fd16d4@mired.org>
To:        Morten Grunnet Buhl <nemo@rudiment.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports in multiplplaces

Morten Grunnet Buhl <nemo@rudiment.dk> types:
> Hey y'all
> Does anyone know if its possible to intall a port in multiple places.
> 'make install DESTDIR=/nfs/machine1 /nfs/machine2 /nfs/machine3 /'
> or do I have to make separat installs for every DESTDIR?

I don't think the syntax you have will work. I believe what you're
asking is whether or not:

	make
	for DESTDIR in /nfs/machine1 /nfs/machine2 /nfs/machine3 /
	do
		make install DESTDIR=$DESTDIR
	done

(or words to that effect) will work or not.

I believe the answer is yes, that will do what you want, in that it
will install the packages in /usr/local (or /usr/X11R6) under each
DESTDIR. On the other hand, I suspect that as others have indicated,
path names and dependencies will not work out cleanly.

> - Okey thanks, Its just that I would like to have one place where I
> can check if any ports on all my systems needs to be updated. In
> this way I would only need to compare versions on one system insted
> of having to check versions on each system. Is there an easy way of
> doing this or am I looking for trouble?

No, you're not looking for trouble. Assuming your systems are all very
similar, you nave a number of options. One is, as others have pointed
out, to keep a collection of the most recent packages on a shared NFS
file system. Point PACKAGES in /etc/make.conf to your shared file
system. Add to that keeping /usr/ports mounted r/o on all those places
- believe me, you do *not* want to build in the same tree on multiple
machines - and then set the weekly_status_pkg_enable to "YES" in
/etc/periodic. That way each machine will generate a list of out of
date packages installed on it every week. You can use the portupgrade
version of the same, which should be faster.

Finally, you can do what we used to do back in the days when machines
were identical and disk space was expensive - more than $10/MB - and
put /usr/local - and /usr/X11R6 if needed - on the shared NFS file
system, and just have every machine mount that.

	<mike