Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:39:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nogobble, nogobble

The recent discussion regarding kernel configuration directives
and a file containing "defaults" reminds me of a poster I saw
in college long ago. The poster warned students who were headed
home for the Thanksgiving holiday to lock their rooms to avoid
theft, saying, "Don't be a turkey." The illustration showed the
familiar circle and slash with a turkey in the middle, saying,
"Nogobble, nogobble." My roommate, who was drinking a can of
soda when he saw this, lost about half of the 12 ounce can
through his nose.

The notion of creating directives to reverse those in a file
of defaults (the most amusing one being "nocpu", which sounds
as if one is saying that the system has no CPU) shows how absurd
this approach is. Yes, it's handy to have defaults; however, if
one is building a custom kernel at all one is most likely building
something vastly different from the original or it would not be
worth doing at all. He or she and should expect to specify in
detail what will be included in it. Copying GENERIC (or LINT,
which is now absent but used to be extremely handy) and then
editing it is a far better and less error-prone way of crafting
a kernel than having to inspect a file and then hopping back and
forth to another editor window disabling EVERYTHING in the first
file you don't want (which can be quite a list if you're trimming
down the statically linked portions of the kernel to the hardware
that your machine actually has).

My humble opinion, for what it's worth, is that the GENERIC kernel
configuration should be very heavily commented and documented and
that the DEFAULT file will then be completely unnecessary.

Just my $0.02.

--Brett Glass