Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:37:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric J. Chet" <ejc@bazzle.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Kraft <db@minot.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 workstation announcement

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 10:22:06PM -0600, Jeremy Kraft wrote:
> > yeah, the all IDE made me a little mad as well ;)
>
> What's so bad about IDE?  It's a good start.  In case you haven't been
> following, IDE has got a whole lot better in the last few years, and
> can now often outperform SCSI as long as there aren't too many
> concurrent I/Os.  And the board has PCI slots, so you can add a SCSI
> controller if you want.
>
> Greg

It doesn't support UltraDMA/33, It's old EIDE technology.  Spend 3k on a
box with a UltraSparc chip and have it doing PIO.

Eric Chet -- ejchet@lucent.com || ejc@bazzle.com
Systems Analysts - Specializing in OOA, OOD and CORBA
Bazzle Systems Consulting, Inc. Software Engineering Services
Empowering Your Business for Internet Commerce