Date:      Sun, 1 May 2011 08:22:30 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecation campaign

On Sun, 1 May 2011 12:45:24 +0100
Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> articulated:

> On 1 May 2011 12:34, "Jerry" <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 1 May 2011 09:40:21 +0100
> > Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> articulated:

> > > maintainers (for whatever reasons).  So no one stepping up does
> > > not really mean no one uses a port.  But ok, I'll try to see what
> > > I can do for ports I might care about..
> > > >

> > > They could always pay someone.
> >
> > You do realize that many here would consider that blasphemy. While
> > it might be advantageous, like so many other capitalistic concepts,
> > it is not likely to get a foothold in this galère.
>
> No, it's not at all, but how is complaining about the state while
> consciously failing to do anything oneself OK?

I have no intention of hosting any potential data, other than my own,
for several reasons, not limited to  the fact that my own personal
servers are always in a state of flux since I am constantly doing beta
testing and other projects with them. The owners of the corporate
servers that I have access to would probably find it most unamusing if
they found out I was using their systems for other than corporate
business.

> > Perhaps asking the community for a list of users wishing to offer
> > free space for hosting orphaned ports/distfiles/etcetera might be
> > an easier crapshoot.
>
> I'll do it. Give me a list and fix the Makefiles, and I'll co-host.

That would be the responsibility of the each individual port
maintainer. I am sure if you make it publicly known that you are
offering such a service, perhaps by getting the FreeBSD webmaster to
put such an advertisement up on the FreeBSD web site, you will get your
wish.

Good luck with your venture.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+ports@seibercom.net

He who has a shady past knows that nice guys finish last.