Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:55:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Corey <coreya@mbs.valinet.com>
To:        Chris Dahler <chris.dahler@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about sio

I see the same "not found" on my (by coincidence) Presario 1610 with my
network card on ed0, so I've had time to think about it.

FeeeBSD's trying to initialize my ed0 before the pccard stuff loads.  It
doesn't find it because it has no interface to it.  When the pccardd loads
near the end of the boot it then finds the card and all is fine.  It may
be possible to change the order here but I haven't worried about it.

I don't know about the warm boot problem, except that Win98 can screw
anything up.  :-)  I run Win95 and I've had no problems.

Seriously, it sounds like something in your modem needs more of a reset
than FreeBSD's warm boot gives it.  Pccard support is not one of FreeBSD's
stronger areas yet.  I almost went back to Linux for that reason and did
briefly load Slackware 7 on one machine.  I got fed up with that after an
evening and put FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE on instead.  Now I've got FreeBSD on 4
machines with common uptimes of over a week on my SETI machine.

Linux is fashionable, FreeBSD is more solid and careful.

Alan Corey

Make your computer part of the largest computer in the world
See http://www.seti-inst.edu/setiathome.html
or http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ for more info