Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:59:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jamie Ostrowski <jamie@gnulife.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing libraries when making c-client

>    I am having some trouble installing imap from source. I am building a
> machine for my boss who *insists* that I cannot use anything from the
> ports collection on the machine, so I can't use the imap port.
>
>    The build is failing, and it seems as though it can't find some openssl
> include files, judging from the errors I am getting.
>
>    This is on a stock 4.11 system. When I untar the imap-2004c1 source, I
> read the readme doc, and I ran
>
> make bsf
>
> since it is a FreeBSD install. It will not compile, though. Here is where
> it is failing:

Here is something higher up in the make output that looks like it may be a
clue:

Building with SSL
ln -s ssl_unix.c osdepssl.c
echo -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl
-DSSL_CERT_DIRECTORY=\"/usr/local/ssl/certs\"
-DSSL_KEY_DIRECTORY=\"/usr/local/ssl/certs\" >> OSCFLAGS
echo "  ssl_onceonlyinit ();" >> linkage.c
echo -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto  >> LDFLAGS

It seems to be setting info in the files OSCFLAGS and LDFLAGS to
/usr/local/ssl, and I don't have any /usr/local/ssl directory, and I am
unsure how this can be corrected properly.