Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:35:44 +0800 (CST)
From:      Jian-Da Li <jdli@FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speedup idea for 'make world'

	How about parallel make ?!

	Current make world sequence is :
	1. make hierarchy mk bootstrap include-tools 1includes lib-tools
	   libraries build-tools
	2. make depend all install
	3. make makedb

	However, I seldome just type "make world", I will make step-1 first,
	and then type "make depend all" in /usr/src/* to parallel make
	(2 to 3 makes running).  Finally, type "make install makedb"

	I think that there should be no binary-library dependency problem
	in step-2, if I have fast cpu, much ram (in fact my p-120 with
	32mb ram handles 2-3 makes well), parallel make should speed up
	the whole thing.

	How do you think ?!   :)
	(ps. and what about making kernel ?!)

--