Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 2004 21:05:35 +0000
From:      "R. W." <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 diskless PC & 2 NICs: Can I separate NFS from other network trafic?

On Sunday 07 November 2004 06:16, Rob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a master for a cluster of diskless slaves; the master
> serves the slaves over NFS (/, /usr, /home). I have two
> internet cards in all PCs, but only using one on the slaves
> right now.
>
> Could I use the second internet card to separate the NFS trafic
> from all other network trafic? At the moment, I have this on a
> slave:
>
>    rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>          options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>          inet6 fe80::2a0:b0ff:fe0e:3a95%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>          inet 192.168.123.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
> 192.168.123.255 ether 00:a0:b0:0e:3a:95
>          media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>          status: active
>    rl1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>          options=8<VLAN_MTU>
>          ether 00:50:fc:e9:30:49
>          media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>          status: active
>
> The master is 192.168.123.254, which is also the router to this local
> network (so the master has one NIC connected to the Internet, the
> other to the switch of the local network).
>
> How can I utilize the dual NIC setup on the slaves in a optimal way?

I'm not sure there is much point in separating NFS from other traffic,
since they typically travel in opposite directions. For example a file
download will involve packets coming into a client from the router and
back out to the  NFS server. Your NICs are full-duplex so the two types
of traffic shouldn't get in each-others way very much.