Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:20:18 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: mouse problems....

	New issues below...

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 01:43:26AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:30:02 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > 	The guy who set up my KVM/mouse deal thinks I would be better
> > 	off just having a service do my hosting; I am close to agreeing.
>
> It it possible that you recently had mail problems? When fetchmail'ing
> today's bunch of messages, I got the error message that thought.org
> did not resolve... but seems to work again now.

	Right.  For some reason my server has seemed to die without
	notice.  I'm pretty sure it is operator error, :-) ... things
	seem stable for the past few hours.  --One thing is that I have
	been rebooting or deliberately crashing/rebooting when there was
	no other way.  Be nice if ctl-alt-delete still worked....

> > 	Clearly, the Beklin model I have only supports USB keybd+mouse.
> > 	They sell another that does USB and PS/2,  but I didn't think of
> > 	that gotcha.
>
> The problem might be related to USB handling on FreeBSD, I think.
> >From your reports I see that there are no keyboard problems when
> switching from / to the FreeBSD box, but the mouse doesn't fully
> work. Did you get X working in the meantime?

	Switching around by the buttons [say from my new desktop to the
	server] is not a problem.  The mouse only works in certain rare
	cases.  Sometimes the mouse shakes violently and jumps around.
	I tried the "poll" string, but it died after a few moments, so I
	sh moused stop.  And the server was okay.

	I have gotten

	# startx

	to present the trio of twm screens.  Usually the keyboard is
	dead and the mouse cursor is frozen.  The times I _have_ gotten
	the mouse to act smoothly [in console mode], when I do a
	`startx', someimes I can type into the center xterm [twm], but
	there is no mouse cursor.

	I just looked at the handbook "2.10.10 Mouse Settings"  I am
	running 7.2 on the server, not that old, but the text does not
	match what I see on my sysinstall screen.

	// cut and paste

This option will allow you to cut and paste text in the console and
user programs with a 3-button mouse. If using a 2-button mouse,
refer to manual page, moused(8), after installation for details on
emulating the 3-button style. This example depicts a non-USB mouse
configuration (such as a PS/2 or COM port mouse):

                      User Confirmation Requested
         Does this system have a PS/2, serial, or bus mouse?

                            [ Yes ]    No

Select [ Yes ] for a PS/2, serial or bus mouse, or [ No ] for a USB
mouse and press Enter.

Figure 2-42. Select Mouse Protocol Type

		[[ GRAPHIC ]]

	I mouse down to the Post-install section of the sysinstall menu.
	I do not see anything like the

		"User Confirmation Requested, [[etc]]"

	that lets me select Yes or No.   *This may be what has been
	causing the trouble.  What I _do_ see is just the graph that
	begins, "You can cut and paste text... ." etc.  Nowhere do I
	see an option to select the USB protocol; it is only the PS/2
	stuff.   .....

> > 	The kernel is set for PS/2 mice and evidently sticks them on
> > 	/dev/sysmouse.
>
> Yes - if one is present. At least X can be set to use sysmouse as
> pointer device, but it is not a symlink to either a USB or PS/2
> mouse. Currently, I'm using a Sun USB mouse, and there is
>
> crw-------  1 root  wheel       0,  10 Oct 13 01:31 /dev/sysmouse
>
> as well as
>
> crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0, 122 Oct 13 01:31 /dev/ums0
>
> If this does survive a KVM switch-over, all is fine.

	Yup::

p0 19:51 Server <ethic> [5002] ll sysmouse
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  11 Oct 12 17:12 sysmouse

	and,

0 crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  44 Oct 12 17:12 ums0

	So, both devices are there.  Just that when I set the mouse to
	the latter, /dev/ums0, the kernel sees it always as busy.  A
	poster to our -stable lists thought it might be hald bug, so I
	commented out that in /etc/rc.conf.  BZZZT.  It's back:)

> > Thru the sysinstall script, I see a mouse active
> > 	in not-X11 but in console-mode.  And the /device for that tweak
> > 	is missing from the /dev table.
>
> I read that as follows: The sysinstall program initializes a mouse
> and provides a cursor in text mode, means: mouse DOES WORK in text
> mode, but not in X.
>
> This is part 1 of the solution. You can now check what happens when
> you switch off / to the FreeBSD box - to see if the mouse does still
> work in text mode.
>
> Part 2 would be to review X settings.
>

> > 	I *can* get some mouse pointer working in one of at least two
> > 	ways.  AS plain /dev/sysinstall, the mouse pointer jumps all
> > 	over the screen untill I sh-exec /etc/rc.d/mouse with the "poll"
> > 	arg.  Having a pointer in console mode tells me that at least
> > 	FreeBSD does know the mouse is there, but I am out of ideas.
>
> I think it is X (again, ah...) having problems here.
>

> > 	Nutshell:: whatever, nothing mouse works in X11.  That was the
> > 	whole point of this exercise.
>
> Then you might be able to solve the problem when you check the
> configuration file for X (or its absence, but then, the presence
> of HAL and DBUS services).

	Will you please check out this posting:

http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd.bugs/2002-03/msg00032.html

	The way that the mose config worked  as to turn off the
	moused_enable, to moused_enable="NO".  Didn't seem to do
	anything...

	gary