Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:57:00 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Admin <admin@8hill.com>
Cc:        free bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: question

Admin wrote:

>       I am a hardcore NEWBIE...

The fact that you are sending mail in HTML format gives that away. :-)
Please don't do that; reconfigure your mailer to use plain text instead.

> I was installing for the first time, Pentium 100 32 MB RAM. 1.5 gig
> HD.CDROM, and everything was going good untill I got to the NIC
> configuration, it asked if I wanted to search for a DHCP server which
> I have running but it hung there, I had to turn it off, I was able

What did you try to do, to be sure it hung? Did you try pressing ALT-F2
or ALT-F4? Sometimes those screens contain something useful (debug
output and an interactive shell respectively, IIRC) which might give you
a clue. Mind you, if FreeBSD doesn't respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL (I guess
you tried that?) it would seem to be locked pretty solid.

> to get into the system but things jsut aren't right, I can log in as
> root, but withouta password Im just not sure if I screwed the install
> up , any Ideas as too what I shoud do . Reinstall?? I don't know....

Being able to log in as root without a password is normal for an initial
install. Just be sure to set the password with "passwd". If this is the
only thing which doesn't seem right, then you've got nothing to worry
about. If other things are wrong, then it might be different.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D