Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:32:37 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/12995: linux-base won't install properly.

On Fri 1999-08-06 (12:07), Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > It stops.
> >
> > Having had this problem myself, I found out it was because of the
> > rpm's post-install calling ldconfig, which segfaults.
> >
> > A few other of the rpm's do that too, when last I did it.
>
> If you have FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, I suggest you upgrade to -stable. There
> was a problem in the ELF loader which was fixed just after the release. If
> you have a not-so-recent -stable, try defining NEEDLOADLINK. See the
> Makefile for details.
>
> If you update your ports collection, also update your system.
>
> Let me know if your problems remain.

Oh, it's not important to me, specifically, I was just describing what
happens, to speed up the analysis of the problem.

It's a bit of a show-stopper, unfortunately - maybe we can '||' away the
failing rpm installs, or see if it sets exit codes nicely.  Or maybe use
--noscripts to rpm on trouble cases.

I think we should try to at least support the last release, or give a
nice friendly warning if we can detect the person is unlikely to be able
to complete the install.  We'll not be liked if it seems that "linux
compatibility" is no longer available on our latest -RELEASE.

I'll grab the package, and see if that installs and works properly, and
try using one of the methods above to ease the port build.  And I'll see
what "NEEDLOADLINK" does too.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner