Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:36:50 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what happened to linuxflashplugin?

On Monday 11 February 2008 16:40, Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 15:32:26 schrieb Erich Dollansky:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Reid Linnemann wrote:
> >
> > >   These ports have been removed because the End User License Agreement
> > >   explicitly forbids to run the Flash Player on FreeBSD.
> > >   For more details, see
> > >     http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/license/desktop/.
> >
> > I could not find the word FreeBSD in the license agreement.
> >
> > BSD also does not appear there.
>
> Read this (in the license agreement):
>
> """...
> For the avoidance of doubt, no embedded or device versions of the above
> operating systems, or any other operating systems, are included as
> Authorized Operating Systems.
> 2.1    You may install and use the Software on a single desktop or laptop
> computer that runs an Authorized Operating System. A license for the
> Software may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different
> computers. """

OK, I followed the link above and was redirected to
<http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players>. I followed the link to Flash
and found:

2.1  General Use. You may install and Use a copy of the Software on your
compatible Computer, up to the Permitted Number of computers. The Software
may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different computers. See
Section 3 for important restrictions on the Use of Adobe Reader and Web
Players.

and the restriction under section 3:

3.1  Web Player Prohibited Devices. You may not Use any Web Player on any
non-PC device or with any embedded or device version of any operating system.

I didn't wade through every word of the agreement, but as far as I can see,
the licence everyone is talking about appears not to exist - and this,
apparently the replacement, seems to be dated 20060607.

Are we sure the licence still bans FreeBSD?

Jonathan