Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:46:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, stesin@gu.net, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: truss, trace ??

> > Cyclic file types imply record orientation.
> [.....]
>
> Unless of course you don't mind having a truncated line at the start
> of your log ;)
>
> This (IMHO) would be more "natural", 'cos there shouldn't be any
> "record" knowledge at that level.

"Natural" for text files, maybe.

For the wtmp file, it's not so natural... it's wierd, even, since you
can't resync to a valid record boundry without sync data built into
the data format.

For text files, the sync data can be "after the first \n", since it
is a variable length record format with "\n" record seperators, but
how do you resync wtmp?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---