Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:01:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [POLL] need a good name for share/mk API versioning

In message: <200207181943.g6IJhu5A016231@dotar.thuvia.org>
            Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk> writes:
: > From: ru@freebsd.org (Ruslan Ermilov)
: > Date: Thu 18 Jul, 2002
:
: > Recently, some backwards incompatible changes were purposedly
: > introduced to the share/mk API, particularly to bsd.lib.mk and
: > bsd.incs.mk (include files).  Everything is OK with src/, but
: > some ports/ that rely on FreeBSD's share/mk API should be able
: > to use both old (currently in -STABLE, soon to be upgraded to
: > the new API) and new versions of the API, so we need to somehow
: > differentiate these APIs.  The solution is to add the FreeBSD
: > specific make(1) variable that could be used to differentiate
: > different API versions.
:
: If this were only for ports, the existing OSVERSION in bsd.port.mk
: would suffice, no?

No.  The OS version and the .mk files may (and often are) unrelated.
This is especially true in the case of cross build environments, which
are often used to insulate products from whatever version of FreeBSD
they happen to be running on.  At Timing solutions, we often build 4.5
based products on a 4.3 machine, and vice versa.

Warner