Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 11:11:01 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Sebastian Lederer <lederer@bonn-online.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ac.ru>
Subject:   Re: /etc/init.d/

On Fri, Jul 11, 1997 at 10:33:05AM +0200, Sebastian Lederer wrote:
> J Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > Well, seriously, we've got a good number of rc.something scripts
> > already done.  It seems David Nugent is finally committing the idea of

[...]
> Let me first say that I am very pleased with the direction the
> FreeBSD /etc/rc model is moving. It provides the possibility
> for additional software packages to install startup scripts without
> fiddling with existing files, but it does not have the
> (mostly useless) overkill complexity of the SystemV model.
>
> But I would suggest that the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory is
> moved to /etc/rc.d.
>
> Imagine a server machine running the apache httpd, which is
> started from /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and several diskless clients,
> nfs-mounting their filesystems (including /usr/local) from the

This is exactly what was annoying me here some time ago
when I installed apache on a NIS/NFS server machine.

Suddenly all clients were running httpds and I had to disable
manually on all clients to leave out /usr/local/etc/rc.d in
$local_startup (/etc/rc.conf)

I agree with moving it to /etc/rc.d unless a better FreeBSD
diskless/NFS concept is being developed from ground up. Actually
there ain't any diskless strategy right now, afaik.