Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:05:09 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Ideally everything should install as a package, however that would
> >
> > Currently, I cannot agree with this.  I had enough head ache in the
> > past dealing with packages of "compatibility symlinks", man pages,
> > and so on, which seems overly ridiculous to me.  I don't consider
> > this worthwhile.  Generally, I prefer base as monolithic collection
> > of bits.
>
> It is a prerequisite for:
>
> o       Ability to do binary upgrades of the base system in order to
>         automatically (e.g. via cron) obtain, and optionally install,
>         security and other fixes.

For people who are running -release, what about having an executable
shell script, which contains uuencoded patched binaries and, when
executed, unpacks them and installs them to the proper locations (like
the shell-script "installers" provided by some commercial software
vendors), overwriting the old binaries?

For people who're running -stable, well, I suppose they don't mind a
make world.  But such a shell archive may still work.

The full bells-and-whistles of a package/ports system are needed for
clean uninstalling and dependency tracking.  For security fixes in the
base system, it seems to me, it's overkill.

- Rahul