Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:49:31 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to restore 'getty'

no.

'make all' is the same thing as typing 'make' with no targets.

it is dangerous to just build without making dependencies, especially
now that you have started building things randomly throughout the tree.
if you're building just one piece, ALWAYS do:
	make depend obj all install
the reason the Makefile has no targets is because of the .include line.
that includes hundreds of lines of Makeifle code.

you need to install world completely. when you installed your system, it
seems you probably left out important pieces, and now you've upgraded
getty, but nothing else. please follow the documented procedure in the
handbook to build/install world.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

-Adam

--