Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:46:40 +0000 (UTC)
From:      othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack, IPv4-only and IPv6-only

Comments in-line:

In article <20030713105532.GA856@goku.kasby>, Francesco Casadei wrote:

> --UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2
>
>    I need to setup an IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack host,

This works as default.  Just ifconfig your ipv6 address.

> IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack host connected to the 6bone through freenet6.

Works with the freenet port.  What this basically does is tunnel the
the ipv6 traffic between two ipv4 hosts.

> act as an IPv6 gateway for the other PC, configured as an IPv6-only host and
> IPv4-only host by installing twice FreeBSD and using dual-boot.
>
>    Is this possible to achieve? Does anybody know how to do this? Furthermo=

Your setup is reasonable.  You don't even need to dual boot the client
behind the firewall, let it run dual/stack too.  However, your setup
will work the best if both the firewall and the client have publicly
routeable ipv4 addresses.  In other words NATing ipv4 via your
firewall will probably break things.  Ipv6 traffic from your client to
your freenet6 enabled ipv6 router should work just fine.

> re,
> how can an application detect system's configuration (IPv4/IPv6, IPv4-only,
> IPv6-only)?

By looking at the configured address.  Most applications that are
enabled for ipv6 are capable of running both ipv4 or ipv6 by
abstracting the ipaddress type and changing to use a few different
function calls (inet_ntop and inet_pton mainly).

---
Mark
atkin901 at NOSPAM yahoo dot com
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);