Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 21:57:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly prints FreeBSD book (WAS: Re: Oracle 7 on FreeBSD)

> Do they?  This is the first complaint I've heard.  But maybe they'll
> let you into to storeroom to tear them out.

Well, I don't want to air too much of our dirty laundry in the
-advocacy list, but let's just say that when Jack, our dear departed
V.P. of marketing, first got it in his head to add all those man pages
to the first edition (and, as the story goes, without even informing
yourself first) it was not greeted by general applause and cries of
"man pages!  bring us more printed man pages!" by the audience.

I also don't take all the Walnut Creek tech support calls personally
(in fact, I take them only when I absolutely can't avoid it :), but
it's been my general impression from talking to those who do that
customer sentiment leans less toward seeing printed man pages and more
toward seeing the same space occupied by tutorials on setting up
utilities like apache and natd or setting up mailing lists and playing
with virtual mailertables in sendmail.

- Jordan