Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:01:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
To:        dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USE_GCC vs. packaging

* Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:

> Thomas-Martin Seck schrieb:,
>
>> A package built using this binary will fail unless libstc++.so.6 and
>> libgcc_s.so.1 are installed, too.
>
> They are installed.
> ldconfig could not find them.

The problem is: this issue was introduced with the latest changes to
lang/gcc34.

In short:
When I build a package of this port on 4.x with gcc 3.4.6 and install
this package on a vanilla 4.11 system, things will obviously blow up
since gcc 3.4.6 is not a registered dependency and libstdc++.so.6 is not
present there. pkg_add just does not know that it should pull in a gcc34
package, too. And this is new, older versions of lang/gcc34 made it
possible that I could build a port using gcc34, build a package, take
this package to a vanilla system, install it there and run it without
installing gcc34 first to resolve libraries.

This needs to be fixed, either by reverting the changes to gcc3X or by
changing USE_GCC in such a way that the gcc port used is made a build
and run dependency instead of a mere build dependency.