Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:40:28 -0700
From:      bmah@acm.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        "'bmah@acm.org'" <bmah@acm.org>, Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>, freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-RC1 and aac.ko

--==_Exmh_1976895584P

If memory serves me right, "Long, Scott" wrote:

> Can you give me some background on this?  Where do those messages
> come from?  Is it specific to a certain configuration?

Ah, sorry.  The error message in question is printed by sysinstall, and
appears when a user starts up from the 4.7-RC1 install CDROM.

Some time ago, sysinstall gained the ability to load kernel modules
from the mfsroot image; this lets us strip more drivers out of the
(always cramped) boot kernel.  In revision 1.3.2.5 of src/release/i386/
driver.conf, aac was removed from the kernel on the CDROMs and moved to
mfsroot image.

(You probably know this already but it doesn't affect GENERIC at
all...just the kernel on the media the user installs from.)

So...I was looking through src/sys/modules/aac/Makefile.  Does aac
really have a dependency on the linux module, and could that cause this
problem?

(Unfortunately there are no other error messages or diagnostics on
sysinstall's debugging VTY.  sysinstall is able to load other kernel
modules before and after aac.ko without incident.)

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1976895584P

--==_Exmh_1976895584P--