Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 11:37:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Mahendra <mahen@sapura.com.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regarding email system in freebsd

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD3557.D9CD9E00

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Mahendra wrote:
> well is smtp, pop3 and imap4 a standard email server service available on freebsd. can freebsd be a dns server.

SMTP is present as sendmail.  POP and IMAP servers are available.
I use the U of Wash. IMAP4 software which includes a POP server.
I'm sure there is a port available in the ports collection
or use the package if you are more comfortable with pre-compiled
software.

The DNS reference, BIND, is developed on a BSD system, not FreeBSD
but the differences aren't worth mentioning.

> i had very little hassle configuring email system and dns server on nt but got lost in some dimension i guess when i saw the unix CLI. maybe you can give a few simple steps in configuring the dns in comparison to unix. and if possible sendmail itself. h
ow do i start configuration to have smtp, pop3 and imap4 services active.

To setup sendmail just set sendmail_enable to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf
The default flags and sendmail.cf are suitable for typical (not ISP)
installations.  If you need more than the stock setup you'll need
a copy of the bat book _sendmail_ from O'Reilly, don't let the size
intimidate you, it's not that bad.  Really.

For DNS goto /etc/namedb and run make-localhost.  That will give
you a working zone file for the localhost.  You can use it as a
template for the reverse file for address space you are authoritative
for.

Next you can edit named.boot to fit your situation.  It has examples
for primary, secondary and cache only servers.

For your forward zone file you're on your own.  Take the SOA stuff
from localhost.rev, then delete the line that starts with "1" and
add your own records,

domain.com.   IN A 123.123.123.123
			  IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.
mail          IN A 123.123.123.124
			  IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.

and so on.

If you are handling more than a single domain _DNS and BIND_ from
O'Reilly is required reading.  It's not a bad idea for a single
domain either.

After installing the IMAP and POP servers you need to add/uncomment
the entries for them in /etc/inetd.conf and kick inetd with a
kill -HUP or reboot.  For the UWash server the lines

pop3    stream  tcp nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/ipop3d   ipop3d
imap    stream  tcp nowait  root    /usr/local/etc/imapd    imapd

work.

Have fun!

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD3557.D9CD9E00--