Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bandwidth allocation - is this possible?

I have a FreeBSD box (running 4.7-STABLE as of a few weeks ago) as a
gateway machine between my home network and a DSL connection (768/128) to
the Internet.  Everything works great.

I will soon be upgrading to a faster DSL connection... 1500 down, and 384
up.  With the additional outgoing bandwidth, I figure that, now I have
more outgoing bandwidth, I can do something that I've wanted to do for a
long time: run some outgoing servers (FTP, HTTP, etc.)

But here's the catch: I don't want these new servers of mine to hog all
the outgoing bandwidth.  Say, if someone with a T1 or a really fast cable
connection connects to my FTP server and wants to download something, then
that would pretty much saturate my entire 384 outgoing pipe.  Which means
that whatever me or my girlfriend are doing on the Internet (web browsing,
sending email, etc.) slows to a standstill.

Now, I thought about it a bit, and here's an ideal solution:  If I could
somehow segment my outgoing bandwidth... let's say, allocate only 256 of
it for use by the FTP/HTTP/whatever servers, and leave the other 128 for
use only by people going out from the internal network, then the
FTP/HTTP/etc. users would still get an acceptable level of performance,
while my SO and I can still surf the web, send email, etc. at reasonable
speeds.

Is this doable in FreeBSD?  Are there any FAQ's or HOWTO-type documents on
how I could get this type of setup going?

Any and all help gratefully appreciated.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>     | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
WWW: http://www.borg-cube.com/  ICQ #16997506 | http://www.freebsd.org/