Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 20:07:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>, Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Native Applixware for FreeBSD -- When?

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Your XML aware web browser could then also read in these ATLL files and
> do something useful with them too, *without you needing to convert them
> to HTML first*.  This is where the XML Style Language (XSL) comes in.
>
> XML is really SGML-lite.  Most of chapter 3 of
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/
>
> is accurate for XML as well.

Except that XSL is not the XML Style Language.  It's a somewhat open
argument as to whether it's the Extensible Style language, or Extensible
Stylesheet Language or Extensible Style Sheet Language, but that's as
far as it's been stretched (so far).  Take a look at the first paragraph
at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xsl.html

As you can see from that, a couple of specifications have been released
using the name Extensible Stylesheet Language, maybe that one will
stick.

There are a lot of free tools using xml and xsl out there.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).