Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2014 02:49:29 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Walter <fbsd@saveouraquifer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minder

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 20:35:59 -0400, Walter wrote:
> I'll try to be clearer then: I know the BSD's are not Linux distributions.
> I know FreeBSD is it's own OS.  But I also know FreeBSD has a Linux
> compatibility layer, where it can run Linux programs.  Maybe not all
> of them, but at least some.

The future will tell if this tendency will be kept or lost.
Especially with Linux being a _different_ OS from FreeBSD,
incompatibilities arise. Most software is being developed
for Linux first, and then ported to FreeBSD. This is not
always simple or even possible. Just see the HAL situation
and the upcoming problems with deep integration of Linux
cgroups and systemd support in desktop environments and
single programs.

> Desktop Operating System Market Share:
> [...]
> Linux has 1.64% market share, but no flavor of BSD makes the list.
> I don't think saying Linux is more popular should be a major point of
> contention.

FreeBSD does not have a market share, because it does not
operate on a market, making money from unit sales. Showing
a comparison of "usage share" would be more accurate, but
due to the FreeBSD licensing (often criticized as a "rape
me license") the required information cannot be obtained.
There's no way to tell in how many appliances, routers,
NAS, server products or embedded systems a BSD is running
because the manufacturer doesn't have to advertise the fact
that he took a BSD as a foundation to create a product to
make money. And according to the BSD license, that's fully
legal.

Linux probably isn't much different. It's also being used
in similar ways (applicances, software compilations, media
devices, firewalls etc.). This does probably not count to
the "desktop OS" market, but it's a use of Linux anyway.

And if you obtain the "market share" values by examining
web browser User-Agent strings, well... ;-)

> So, my thinking is that if a family of an application runs on Windows,
> Mac, and Linux, it would be popular enough not to die out, and
> likely to get all the bugs ironed out.

You can't make a statement like "all the bugs" where "all" is
an unknown (but probably finite) number. :-)

> AND, if it runs on Linux, FreeBSD
> will likely run it too; that's what I meant by my poorly written words
> "Linux (BSD)."

This is probably true, but depends on the application in question.
You could also say: "If it runs on 'Windows', it will likely run
with wine on FreeBSD." Stating "runs on 'Windows' (BSD)" might
still lead to confusion. :-)

Basically, you're fully right, and it's common to assume that
programs running on Linux will run on FreeBSD (through the
Linux ABI) too, if there isn't a native port for that program.
But you actually need to _verify_ this for every single case.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany