Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   How about finally replacing GNATS? (was Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve)

Hmm...

I will admit quite frankly that the difference is not huge,
and perhaps that's the reason why it hasn't been done
before, but our bug reporting system is quite outdated.
It works for most needs but I think the only reason
we are stuck with it is because we can still file bugs
from a console.

I know this is not the first time someone brings the
subject, we even have a Wiki page about it:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugzilla

I do find Bugzilla a lot more useful than GNATS: I
particularly like that it is possible to obsolete
attachments. Requiring an id serves to control the spam
a bit and develops some level of compromise with the
project.

In other projects (notably the Apache Foundation)
JIRA is also gaining popularity. These newer bug
tracking systems are very versatile and integrate
with SVN.

While here, some people have requested opengrok in
the past.

Just something to think, but delaying these changes
too much rarely proves beneficial for the Project.

Pedro.