Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:15:02 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a.out and MMX instructions

Ok, I solved my own problem

On 3.0-RELEASE

as -v       gives me GNU Assembler 2.9.1
as -aout -v gives me GNU Assembler 1.92.3
So aout mode does drop back to the old toolchain. That is a pitty.

So in order to make a.out binaries with MMX inline code, I need to make
a new
copy of gas 2.9.1 in a.out format. (which is not a problem. I have done
it before)

BTW, I use the MMX instructions in my image processing work. I got a 40%
speedup in my code.
For once, you can believe Intels hype.

Cheers
Roger Hardiman