Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:09:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Paul Sondhu <paul@riker.comcirc.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fingering my host from a remote host problem

I few days ago a problem developed on our freebsd host. What started
happening is that whenever any other host ( even on the same
ethernet ) tried to finger our host, they would'nt get any results back,
they would just get a blank line even if users were logged on.
No settings in inetd.conf were changed. ie. we are running fingerd without
any switches ( no -s secure mode ). It just all of sudden started
happening.

What I've also noticed is that when someone tries to finger, we get the
following message on our console:

fingerd[23456]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

When I finger the host when I'm directly logged onto it, it works OK.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul Sondhu			P.Sondhu@comcirc.com.au
Computer Circuit Pty. Ltd.	Tel: +61 53 826 959
27 Darlot St.			Fax: +61 53 826 301
Horsham 3400			WWW: http://www.comcirc.com.au/staff/paul
Victoria Australia